Payment Methods

Types of payments accepted for tuition at UW-Madison.

If you need to make a payment for University Housing, visit the UW Housing website.

Types of Payments

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

ePayment (Online Payment)

Students and Authorized Payers can submit ePayments (eCheck, Credit Card or Foreign Currency) through the Tuition ebill/ePayment site.

Students access the Tuition eBill/ePayment site through MyUW Student CenterAuthorized Payers access the Tuition eBill/ePayment site through the Authorized Payer login page.

BadgerPay Payment Plan

BadgerPay is a convenient method for paying tuition and fees through regularly scheduled installments.

Pay in Person

Check or cash payments are accepted in person at the Bursar’s Office. Visit our office at 333 East Campus Mall #10501 between 8a-4p Monday – Friday (opening at 9:15a on Wednesdays).

If you are unable to visit our office during business hours, we have two convenient drop boxes in the building. The first drop box is located just outside our office entrance, to the left of the office doors.  The second drop box is located in the main lobby of the building, on floor 1 near the elevators.

  • Do not place cash in the drop box.
  • These drop boxes are for UW-Madison Tuition payments only – do not deposit UW Housing payments here.
  • Make checks payable to UW-Madison.
  • Write student’s name and 10 digit Campus ID number on check.
  • If the payment is a scholarship, write ‘scholarship’ on the check.
  • Place check in envelope and seal before placing in drop box.

Mail a Payment

Mail payments to:

UW-Madison Bursar’s Office
333 East Campus Mall # 10501
Madison, WI  53715-1383

Personal checks/Money Orders/Cashier’s Checks:

Mail personal payments a minimum of 5 days prior to the due date.  The student’s full name and 10 digit Campus ID number must be included on the check.

529 College Savings Plan

Contact your 529 Plan for disbursement instructions. Allow 10 days minimum before the due date for the scheduled payment to be mailed. The student’s full name and 10 digit Campus ID number must be included on the check.

Bill Payment Service Instructions

If you are scheduling a payment through your bank’s online Bill Payment service, the student’s full name and 10 digit Campus ID number must be included on the check.

Paying with Financial Aid

All financial aid (federal and private loans, grants and internal scholarships) is applied to the student tuition account only; financial aid does not apply to pay UW Housing charges.  If your financial aid award exceeds the amount of tuition due, a tuition refund will be issued.


All Scholarship checks should be mailed or delivered to the Bursar’s Office.

Internal Scholarships (from UW-Madison departments) will be automatically applied to the student’s tuition account as they are submitted to the Bursar’s Office.  If you were awarded this type of scholarship and it has not disbursed to your account, contact the department that awarded the scholarship.  UW-Madison departments submit scholarship payments through the Bursar’s Office secure website.

External Scholarships (from outside organizations) should be mailed to the Bursar’s Office to be applied to the tuition account.  If you were awarded this type of scholarship and the payment does not appear on your tuition account, contact the awarding organization.

  • Scholarships will be disbursed to student tuition accounts according to the organization’s instructions.  For example, if the organization indicates that the scholarship is for the full academic year, the scholarship funds will be split evenly between the Fall and Spring semesters.

Private Loans

Private loan checks are typically made payable to both the student and to UW-Madison. If a check requires a student endorsement, the Bursar’s office will contact the student via email. Checks must be made payable in US Dollars.

For more information on the Private Loan application process, visit the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Third Party

Third party payments are payments awarded to students from companies, agencies or departments.

An “External Third Party Sponsor” is a company, government agency, embassy, or organization desiring to sponsor a student at UW-Madison.

Understand Third Party Sponsors

UW-Madison departments may also use Internal Third Party payments.

Tuition Remission

Tuition remission (also referred to as a waiver) is a benefit to graduate and professional students holding a Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, Program/Project Assistant or Lecturer Student Assistant appointment to help alleviate the cost of tuition.

Veteran's Benefits

Depending on your connection to the U.S. Armed Forces, you may qualify for one or more different benefits, including full payment of your tuition and academic fees.

Please contact the UW-Madison Veterans Services office for assistance with determining eligibility or paperwork. The current Veterans Services contact is Joe Rasmussen (UW-Madison VA Certifying Official). Call the Veterans Services office at (608) 265-4628 or email



Call the Bursar's Office for help

Phone: (608) 262-3611

Fax the Bursar's Office

Fax: (608) 265-3201

Bursar's Office Hours

Monday – Friday
8 AM – 4PM

For staff development, on Wednesdays the customer service window may not open until 9:15 AM

Find Business Services

333 East Campus Mall #10501,
Madison, WI 53715-1383