For employment as a full-time special education teacher of infants, toddlers, children, or youth with disabilities n a public or other nonprofit elementary or secondary school system, you may be eligible for partial cancellation of your Federal Perkins Loan, if you meet certain criteria.
- satisfy the criteria for teaching and
- be employed as a special education teacher
- A person performing one of the following services is considered a teacher if the service is part of the educational curriculum for handicapped children:
- speech and language pathology and audiology
- physical therapy
- occupational therapy
- psychological and counseling services
- recreational therapy
To qualify for cancellation, the borrower must be licensed, certified, or registered by the appropriate state education agency for that area in which he or she is providing related special educational services.