For employment as a full-time qualified professional provider of early intervention services in a public or other nonprofit program, you may be eligible for partial cancellation of your Perkins Loan made on or after July 23, 1992. Perkins Loans made prior to that date are eligible for cancellation for early intervention service that is performed on or after October 7, 1998, if you meet certain criteria.
. “Early intervention services” are provided to infants and toddlers with disabilities.
- be a qualified professional in developmental services
- work primarily with children from birth to age two
- work primarily with children who have disabilities
- work in a public or other non-profit program
- work full-time providing developmental services.
Cancellation Rates for Early Intervention (for disabled infants/foddlers)
- first and second years; 15% of the original principal loan amount, plus the interest that accrued during the year.
- third and fourth years; 20% of the original principal loan amount, plus the interest that accrued during the year.
- fifth year; 30% of the original principal loan amount, plus any interest that accrued during the year.